Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Realities of saying yes...

So. I have a problem. And I'm going to share it with you in hopes that someone out there will read this and be inspired to avoid from encountering this problem.
What is my problem, you ask? Well, you see, I have the complete inability to say NO to anything. When asked to serve on a committee, lead a Bible study, volunteer for an event, etc, my immediate reaction is to say yes. Not that I don't genuinely want to serve on all of these things, I do! I just honestly do NOT have the time. Thus far this year, I have said yes to 2 Bible Studies, being on the executive committee for Up Til' Dawn (A fundraising campaign for Saint Jude), Student Council, Volunteering at Newspring, Bluefish, and being a Highlander for Sterlings (meaning that every Tuesday, at 3pm, this girl gives a tour. In an effort to avoid bragging on myself (trust me, this is not the point of this whole thing), I would love to encourage tips from the very few of you that read this blog; what is a girl to do? How does one learn to say NO?
It's so easy for me to say No to so many things; for example.
"Hey, wanna cigarette?" ...NO.
"Hey, wanna go water skiing?"...NO.
"Hey, wanna foot massage?"...absolutely not.
But why is it that when I'm approached about getting involved with something, my immediate response is to get so excited about it, and immediately to sign up? Don't get me wrong, I really am super excited aobut everything I'm involved in this year. There's so many great opportunities to glorify God through all of these amazing opportunities, but I'm worried about time management. Thus far, with all of this, I have one night of freedom in my weeks. That night is Friday nights. Every other night (excluding Saturdays) is completely full.
So, this is my advice to the 4 or 5 of you that read this blog that may or may not be struggling with this; learn to say no. Pray that God shows you what you need to be involved in so that you can give it your everything, instead of giving some of yourself to 5 or 6 things. It's better to do ONE thing really well than to do 5 things semi-decent. trust me on that. And hey, while you're sending some prayers up to the big guy, mind saying one for me, too? I've really been struggling with listening to everything God has planned for me, and what I have planned for myself, and differing between the two. Oh, and along all of that, keeping up with my school work. (PS: two papers and a test next week...blogging is going to be put on pause for the next week or so).
1 Corinthians 9:26-27 tells us:
"So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."
I've really been reflecting on that tonight and praying that God shows me where to run, how to discipline my body to be under control, and how to avoid worrying about everything at once. I'm learning to take a breath, maybe a second breath, and just taking it a minute at a time. Taking it a project, a paper, a speech, a test at a time, and doing my very best to glorify God in all of it. (Although I'm not quite sure how to glorify God in my paper about Oedipus and Gilgamesh...still trying to figure that one out).
Anyways, my whole point in all of this nonsense is this:
Learn to say no. Learn to pray to God before you get in over your head so that He will tell you what you need to be active in. Don't be like me and immediately say yes to everyhing...because you will soon find yourself with one night of free time, and an extremely confusing calendar.
I get to go home this weekend, and it's the last time I get to go home before Fall Break (which is at the end of October). Here's to a weekend of relaxation, paper writing, and some well-needed family bonding time.
Much Love,
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment