Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Weekly (uh, monthly?) update

You would think that being on summer break, I would have plenty of time to blog. Wrong. Anyways here's whats been happening...

After many weeks of preparation, doctor's appointments, and hope, Monday is the true beginning of the battle. Me-ma (my grandmother) is starting chemotherapy on Monday. As said by my mama "This will be the most difficult part of the journey." Up until the past few weeks, I've never truly known my grandmothers strength. Like I said in a previous blog post, our family has never really had to deal with this first hand, so I guess I've never had to see her strength be tested. But looking back on the last few months, as she's begun this battle with her cancer, I finally realized how crazy strong she is!
I will surely keep everyone updated but as of now, I just wanted to ask y'all to keep her and my family in your prayers!

Some of my "summer to-do list" points are being fulfilled! Chad and I attended Newspring's membership class and officially became members. I am SO excited. Furthermore, I'm getting baptized this Sunday. Originally, I didn't really know how to feel about it. Didn't I get baptized as a baby? Being Methodist, the idea of submerging myself in a pool of water in front of hundreds of people not only terrifies me, but makes me highly uncomfortable. But, then again, Christ died on a cross for me. My comfort, or His kingdom? (thanks, pastor Perry) I just consider it kind of the finishing mark of re-committing my life to Christ. After all, the Bible does tell us that after commitment, baptism is the next step. After getting over the original uneasy feeling, I can't wait for it. Like, just getting cleaned of everything and coming out a new person? That's a lot to swallow. Let's just pray I don't slip in front of everyone or something...I would do that.
Along with said membership, Chad and I decided to volunteer with the Fuse Student Ministry this summer and are going to observe tomorrow night in order to feel it all out. SO PUMPED.
I guess along with fulfilling the whole volunteering point of my list, this also fulfills staying strong in my faith. which leads me to...

Crazy Love. It's a book by Francis Chan and I can honestly tell you it's been so influential in my life lately. It basically talks about God's unfathomable love for us and how the American church has pretty much turned into something far from what the Bible tells us it should be. If you haven't read it PLEASE do. It is so amazing and will truly change your outlook about your faith and how you live life. No doubt.

I finally met the family I'm babysitting for this summer and I start June 7th. Although two 6-year olds and a 9 year old is going to be a handful, they're a fun group of kids and I honestly can't wait. Don't get me wrong, hanging out with my boyfriend and friends has been SO nice, I have been getting pretty bored lately. Having no money can be a problem. Let's hope the next few weeks go by a little quick like.

Chad finally found a job (after searching for months)...and FINALLY got texting back! Welcome to the 20th century! Anyone heading to Jiffy Lube in Florence give him a shout. no, seriously. Oh, and since you begged....Hey Dad. (there's your shoutout) Thanks for some awesome dinner tonight.

That's all that's been going on here lately, although I'll be sure to keep you updated if anything else happens. (Hoping to conquer this skiing thing sometime soon.)

Happy Summer!
Much Love,
Emma


No comments:

Post a Comment