Thursday, April 29, 2010

8 months ago

8 Months ago, I arrived as an anxious freshman to a small college in a tiny town. Little did I know that the next 8 months of my life would go by so incredibly fast and little did I know that those 8 months would be some of the best of my young life. I'm not a freshman anymore. Wait. what was that? No longer a freshman? It's already over? Well, dang.
I don't think I can properly describe how much I have changed this year. College has brought about so many challenges, but with these challenges has come so many amazing opportunities to learn and grow in myself, and two-fold in my faith. So, what have I learned? Of course we have to do a list;
The Top 20 Things I've Learned as a Freshman at Presbyterian College:
1) Sorority life isn't what they show on TV: we don't sit in a circle and get drunk. It just doesn't happen.
2) Yes, you really do need to go to class.
3)...Yes, even if it's 8:00 on a Friday morning. Professors do pay attention.
4) When you go to college, your closet size easily doubles; no, not its physical size. Make friends with the girls on your hall.
5) Dinner at GDH is at 5. Period.
6) Exam week can either be really really miserable, or it can be doable. Keep up with your studies, and start studying for exams sooner than the night before.
7) There's always that one class that you will absolutely hate. (ie Linguistics) Suck it up.
8) There are people that are just like you at college. You just have to find them.
9) It's not as hard as you think it is to continue (or begin) your life as a christian once you get to college. It's actually so much cooler!
10) Forming your opinion and sticking to it is vital; grow a backbone.
11) Putting on makeup and getting dressed up for class every day just doesn't happen.
12) It's perfectly acceptable to wake up a 7:50 for your 8:00 class. Thank God for our small campus.
13) You and your roomate will not always get along. I mean, you're living in a 12x16 square for 8 months. What do you expect?
14) The Library isn't just for studying. Socializing happens...usually more than studying.
15) Sometimes, the chicken fingers in GDH are really spicy on Sundays. Proceed with caution.
16) Your Bonus Bucks disappear quicker than you think they do. Whoops.
17) Getting mail is like Christmas. Too bad it doesn't happen too often. Thanks, mom and dad.
18) You have to learn to take time for yourself. Go for a walk or go have quiet time with God. Being around people all the time will drive you insane.
19) The Belk Lobby is, and will forever be, one of my most favorite places at PC
20) You really do go to college and find your best friends. <3

On another note, now that classes are over it's time to begin the preparations for BEACH WEEK! wahooooo! So excited. I'll be heading to Garden City on Monday and returning Wednesday afternoon; hopefully bronzed and properly relaxed. Be jealous.

Much Love,
Emma

2 comments: